Can I just start this post by saying, I have waaaay too many highlighters! I knew I had a good amount because I’m obsessed with them, but I never knew just how many until I pulled them out for this post. Originally when I thought about doing this post, I was going to provide swatches for every highlighter in my collection, but after seeing how many I have, that’s not happening. Instead, I picked out the best 1-2 products from different color categories. I hope you enjoy!
- MAC Whisper of Gilt Extra Dimension Skinfinish (LE): This is my favorite neutral gold toned highlighter. Although it is LE, I still wanted to mention it because MAC has already released it more than once and may release it again. Since it is not too yellow-toned, it will work well on most skintones. As an added bonus, the texture is smooth and buttery.
- The Balm Betty Lou-Manizer: This shade is like a cross between gold and bronze. On my skin tone, it provides a relatively subtle highlight. On very light skintones it may work as a bronzer. The texture on this one is soft and very blendable.
- The Balm Mary Lou-Manizer: This champagne colored highlight is beautiful, but must be applied lightly. It is very pigmented, but easily blendable. Again, I think this shade will work on all skintones.
- MAC Gold Deposit Mineralize Skinfinish: This is definitely the highlighter I use when I want to look extra sun-kissed. It is very bronze, so it may not work on pale skin tones. On my skin, I can use this as a shimmery bronzer or highlighter.
- MAC Rio Mineralize Skinfinish (LE): Cool toned pink highlighters are not really not my favorite, so I don’t have many at all. This is my newest one and I like that it is pink, and not too silver. Sometimes shades like this tend to look too silver for my coloring. I like wearing this over pink blushes. This item is limited edition, but still currently available.
- MAC Light Year Mineralize Skinfinish (LE): I love this highlighter! It is the highlight shade that made me really like peach highlighters. This one is a true peach with golden shimmer and is absolutely beautiful on cheekbones. Unfortunately, it is no longer available, but you may be able to find it on ebay.
- Bobbi Brown Nectar Shimmer Brick Compact: In the swatch above, I blended all shades in the compact together, but they can be used alone. I typically blend them together when I wear it and it gives me a light, peachy-pink glow. This one is very pigmented, so for light skin tones, it would make a beautiful shimmery blush. The texture on this product is so smooth, it almost feels creamy.
- MAC Adored Mineralize Skinfinish (LE): This is the palest peach highlighter that I own, and I almost thought that it wouldn’t work for me. I’m glad I tried it anyway, because when blended onto my cheekbones, it provides a subtle peach glow that doesn’t look ashy. This is limited edition, but still available.
*These tend to look chalky in pictures because I had to swatch them heavily to get them to show up. They do not look ashy on me when applied to the cheekbones.
- MAC Shell Pearl Beauty Powder (LE): You may remember my post (HERE) raving about this gorgeous pinky-peach highlight that adds a subtle glow. Well, I still love it! It is perfect for work or when I don’t want too much shimmer on my face. It also blends very easily.
- Wet n’ Wild In the Cabana Color Icon Bronzer: This is one of the newer additions to my collection, but it already has a spot at the top. This is the most subtle highlighter I own. It looks like nothing in the pan, but it gives the ever so slightest sheen to the skin. This is perfect for work or light makeup days. Plus, it’s really inexpensive!
- NARS Albatross: This shade is a classic, however I just really started to appreciate it’s beauty. Although it looks white in the pan, on the skin it blends out to a beautiful yellow gold. This is the highlighter to wear for a night out because it is bold, but it can also be really sheered out for daytime. It is very pigmented so I literally touch it only once with my brush before applying it.
- ELF Gotta Glow: I have to admit that this is not one of my favorite highlighters, but I wanted to mention it because it often is said to be a dupe for NARS Albatross. I used to think it was a dupe before I purchased Albatross, but as you can see in the above pictures, it is not. It’s similar in that it is a yellow gold, but it leans more white than Albatross and is somewhat chalky. Still, not a bad choice for the price.
What color family of highlighters, do you usually go for? What’s your favorite?