The next product on my Staple Hair Products list is Curl Queen by Curl Junkie. This glycerin-free gel is a medium hold gel that can be used for various styling. I usually use this in combination with my Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme for my wash & go styles. This styler retails for $22 for 12 ounces of product. It can be purchased in at www.curljunkie.com, www.aveyou.com, and select other retailers.
Key Ingredients: aloe leaf juice, polyquat-4, wheat protein
Product Texture/Consistency: thin for a gel, but not watery
Product Claims: to be a light-medium conditioning gel that provides extra protection in high humidity
How the Product Measures up to the Claims: This product gives my hair medium hold. It’s touted as a conditioning gel, but I’m not sure about that. I do know that it does not dry my hair out or leave my hair flaky.
How I Use This Product: I actually have a YouTube video that shows how I use this product (click here to view) in combination with Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme. Please note that I only use around a nickel-size amount in each of my 4 sections of hair. If I am using this with just a leave-in and not using the Donna Marie, I use maybe a quarter size amount in each of my 4 sections.
- provides medium hold
- “plays well” with other products
- thin texture makes it easy to spread through hair
- nice smell
- a little product goes a long way
- defines my hair without making it too defined
- I can only purchase online
- can make hair slightly crunchy (can be remedied by using an oil to “scrunch out the crunch”)
- expensive for a gel, but a bottle lasts me at least 6 months
Have you tried Curl Junkie Curl Queen? What is your favorite gel for wash & go’s?